Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Humourous Books

Members of a book club to which I once belonged always chuckled when we chose a humourous novel to read because there are few humourous books which I have enjoyed.  Doubtless, it’s a failing in me but the list of books which have made me laugh is very short.  I do have a sense of humour and I enjoy stand-up comedy and situation comedies, but reading funny books does nothing for me.

Two humourous books I remember really enjoying are Twisted Tales from Shakespeare by Richard Willard Armour and Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast by Bill Richardson.  The former contains hilarious parodies of Shakespeare’s plays, and the latter is a book of quiet humour about the twin hosts of a rustic retreat and their clientele of bookish and perhaps slightly confused storytellers.

A list of “100 Must-Read Funny Novels” compiled by Christine Ro for BookRiot caught my attention:  https://bookriot.com/2017/08/11/best-funny-novels/?platform=hootsuite.  She organized her recommendations under categories:  Satire, Farce, Wordplay, Black Comedy, Surrealism, Absurdity, Culture Clash, Romantic Comedy, and Social Relations.  Maybe I’ll consult the list and see if my funny bone can be tickled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment