Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Upcoming Film Adaptations of Canadian Novels

Some excellent Canadian novels are going to be made into films.  Bell Media has announced funding for a number of film adaptations of award-winning novels.

“Screenwriter Michael McGowan has signed on to write All My Puny Sorrows [by Miriam Toews], which won the 2013 Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize and was nominated for the Scotiabank Giller Prize. The novel follows a woman named Yolandi, who grapples with her sister's request to help end her life. [See my review on July 20, 2015.]

“Jason Buxton is writing Three Day Road, [Joseph] Boyden's debut novel that took home the 2005 Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize. The book focuses on two Cree snipers haunted by their experiences on the battlefield during World War I. [I read this book back in 2005 and loved it, but I didn’t write reviews back then, so I have none to post.]

 “Bell Media renewed the option on the 2012 Scotiabank Giller Prize winner 419 written by Will Ferguson. Suzette Couture is writing the script. 419 is a dark thriller about the criminal underworld behind notorious Nigerian internet scams. [This novel I have not yet read.]

“Funds have been committed to production on Indian Horse based on the book by Richard Wagamese. Stephen Campanelli will direct the film, with the script written by Dennis Foon. Indian Horse is about an Ojibway hockey player who struggles with an alcohol addiction.  [See my review on November 6, 2015.]

“Screenwriter Barbara Samuels is working on a second draft of the script for Through Black Spruce, which won the Scotiabank Giller Prize for Joseph Boyden in 2008. [I read this book in October of 2008 – I will post my review tomorrow.]  Through Black Spruce follows the parallel journeys of a Cree bush pilot and his niece, as they face heartbreak, fierce love and ancient blood feuds.”  (http://www.cbc.ca/books/2016/03/joseph-boyden-miriam-toews-and-richard-wagamese-books-getting-the-movie-treatment.html

No comments:

Post a Comment